These definitions are a guide only. Please note that the meanings of terms are often contested and tend to change over time. The terms are often used or interpreted differently depending on the individual or context.
We are indebted to the GLBTI Policy Team, Social Inclusion and Participation, Ministry of Social Development, New Zealand Government for permission to publish this item. We believe it to be an extremely useful document for employers, teachers, medical people, counsellors, researchers and anyone interested to understand more about the complexity of sexuality.
The document is organised as follows:
- Sex and Gender Related Definitions
- Gender identity
- Gender expression
- Disorders of Sex Development (DSD)
- Variations of Sex Development (VSD)
- Sexual Orientation Related Definitions
- Sexual orientation
- Terms referring to both gender identity and sexual orientation
- Coming out
- Sexual minority
- Other Useful Terms